Powered by Blogger.

it's the silly things...


yesterday i was greatly inspired at dinner time by the latest fabric love in my life,
found as a 'pair of curtains' in a wonderful retro granny chic store in Rye, (Kent) England.
the store was called 'new 2 you retro' and the inside, filled to the rafters with vintage and retro goodness.
everything reminded me of grannies in the most perfectly perfect way,
indeed Debbie, my soul sister and i would have quite happily moved in

i have just had to pause from my tale and switch the radio off,
i am listening as always to Radio 2,
at the moment it is a long programme about the history of the Bee Gees
and i cannot for the life of me tippity tap when i have 'Jive Talking' going on at full blast....
the funny thing about listening to Radio 2 Live is i am 8 hours behind,
so quite often i am listening to the night time shows or early morning programmes.
i know what the weather forecast will be for the majority,
i know who has got up to what in the news
and most importantly of all,
i know which roads to avoid due to roadworks and traffic hold ups.
all of which, some may think, are completely useless for moi living on this side of the pond...
however in a nice warm fuzzy way it keeps me connected to my home country, my family
and of course, now Our #1


which is where i was going with the old curtain story before the Bee Gees interrupted...
so my lovely 'faded around the edge' curtains came back on the plane with me
and after a few happy hours spent with Miss Ethel
(all in the name of sanity i might add, notching up 8 weeks or more of school holidays, one does need to find the odd bit of sanity that still remains)
i had myself two rather lovely 'going into fall' retro cushions for the lounge.
under the influence of my cushions i turned my crafty attention from Miss Ethel,
towards the kitchen and dinner.
i worked carefully with my usual palette of orange but added a little extra with brown and yellow,
thus showing my newly made cushions how much i loved their retro peachiness.


after a short while of pottering around
doing just fine and dandy,
the gravy was the brown,
the leftover turkey meat, a shade of something similar in tone,
and then the yorkshire puds adding a lovely sandy yellow to the mix.
i started on the orange ingredient
and that is where i came undone...
until that moment i had tucked my little bit of sadness away deep inside,
feeling most proud of my stiff upper lip and 'carrying on' resolve
but the blimen' carrots had to go and weaken my emotional brick wall,
and despite trying my terribly best,
the flood waters came rushing through for the first time since Our #1 left the shed behind
and headed off to the bright lights of old blighty to live.

how could a humble silly little carrot cause such distress i am thinking you are wondering,
it's a silly thing really, but it always is the silly things.
Our #1 eats carrots every day,
any given day i would find her in the kitchen peeling and chomping on raw carrots,
other days she would happily make a whole mountain of grated carrots to bake a carrot cake for tea.
and without fail,
whenever i made turkey in gravy she always chopped the carrots into lovely chunks to pop in the pot,
always with a tale to tell
and always with a smile on her face...
yesterday whilst chopping the carrots into chunks
i noted there was not a tale being told to me,
nor a smiling face looking back at me,
just an empty space
and the sound of my own sadness.

today as i tippity tap about my carrot moment
i am wondering, if a carrot can set off such a tidal wave of tears,
then how on earth will i be able to go thrifting again,
knowing my thrifty buddy is no longer by my side.

she is thinking carrots maybe off the menu for a while at mossy shed ~ Tif
 

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

My Ping in TotalPing.com