Powered by Blogger.

for the love of ercol...

for me, nothing says granny chic quite like vintage ercol.
on monday evening an ercol coffee table found me on Craigslist,
i gasped 'thee gasp',
for i have not seen the likes of such granniness this side of the pond,
ever, never, ever.

by tuesday morning i was plotting how to go and see it's loveliness
but not go alone.
for she was in the big city, in an area i was unfamiliar with.
i do not do freeway and city driving often,
if i do, there must be good reason for it.
my friend maggi planned to hold my hand,
but alas her little sprogs were sickly tuesday morning.

"what to do, what to do" i said to myself whilst wringing my hands.
i skyped with Our #1,
told her of my plight,
she rolled her eyes and quite rightly pointed out,
if at the age of 17 she was driving all over Seattle
then it would be quite possible aged 42,
i could manage such a feat.

i 'binged' a map,
studied the round trip in details,
wrote down my directions on the back of an old envelope.
then promptly my envelope was 'loved' by little olive
whilst i paced up and down my studio fretting,
knowing i had no choice but to go it alone.

after three and a half hours of build up
i left the comforts and safety of the shed,
Carlos my trusty camera by my side
and my slippers upon my feet (thread included)
i bravely travelled to the big city.


i noted i was going the speed limit and some were not.
i noted as soon as i got off the highway,
my envelope let me down
whilst lost and doing my breathing exercises,
i channelled my inner 'granny chic' radar sensor,
it did not let me down,
after several turns
i arrived at an emporium filled with secondhand goodness.


upon entering with Carlos in my pocket
and my slippers (thread still attached) upon my feet,
i knew my bravery had been rewarded.

arriving home at mossy shed, later in the afternoon
i cannot tell you which i was shaking more about,
knowing a little bit of ercol granny goodness was happily settling in.


or knowing after nearly 11 years of being a Brit living abroad in the surburbs,
i had finally faced my fears
travelling to the big city on my own
and making it home to tell the tale

she will be back tomorrow with day five of book week ~ Tif
 

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

My Ping in TotalPing.com